Dividing and planting raspberry plants/canes..

wittyraven(4)September 2, 2013

We are going to be getting some plants/canes from my father in laws raspberry plants. He has a pretty long row of them so we will probably get quite a few. I know nothing about raspberries. Will is be okay planting them straight in the garden this fall? Or should I transplant them to pots and move them into the garden next spring? I'm in AK so pretty cold winter(last year in september we were 20-30 degrees below). Seems risky to plant them in the garden right before winter... but what do I know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Here in Madison, Wisconsin, I transplant raspberries in the fall, and they overwinter fine. They grow like weeds in our yard, so I have to thin them every spring, or the patch gets so thick with canes that I am unable to get to much of the fruit. They also transplant well in the spring, before they have flowered, typically in April or early May. We have milder winter weather than Alaska, however. It gets down to 10 below every winter, and sometimes we see 20 below, but rarely any colder than that.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:14PM
larry_gene

Plant them at least as deeply as they were in the in-laws garden, and do you have reliable snow cover in the winter?

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 10:28PM
wittyraven(4)

Yes, theres usually a steady 1-3 feet on the ground with a nice thick sheet of ice underneath until April-May.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 12:10PM
larry_gene

Then there's your protection; otherwise put some thick mulch on if there will be a deep freeze prior to the snowfall. Getting the soil moist before a hard freeze can help, especially if you have gritty alluvial soil, as it reduces the air content of the soil.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™