Persimmon precocious

wlh8723(7)September 20, 2012

I am looking for precocious persimmon. Is there a list of cultivars that rate them by time from extremely precocious to later fruiting? First year after graft - second year after graft- 3rd year etc. Someone said that Shin Na Da was "extremely precocious". Does that mean it will fruit in the first year or what? What is normal fruiting age of persimmons. Does the age of the rooting stock matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Asian persimmons bear very young first year after grafting would not be a surprise. I put in 2 Fuyu and a Hana this spring and 2 of the 3 bloomed. On one I removed all the flowers and the other I let do as it wanted and it matured two fruit.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 8:57PM
wlh8723(7)

bamboo rabbit- My first Asian Persimmon was a bare root Jiro and it took 10 years to fruit.Maybe it was miss marked and not a Jiro but looks like one . What other factors affect fruiting age? Maybe Jiro is just a late one. Thanks

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 3:02PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

WLH,

My Icki Kei Ki Jiro sets flower the following year after planted, but the fruit drops for another year or two before good fruit set.

Tony

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 3:15PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

WLH,

I don't know a thing about persimmons so can't really help you... I know fertilizer will cause fruit drop. My FUYU I let fruit is only as thick as a penny...it had maybe 10 flowers and I just planted it in March. I have always heard they fruit young though and that is a good thing as they grow so darn slow.

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™