Ants all over fruit on asian pear??

rehabbingisgreenSeptember 9, 2013

Will they hurt my tree or fruit and what can I do to get them off? They were not there before today and now they are crawling all over the fruit on a section of the tree.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beeman_gardener(5)

Follow the trail back and eliminate the nest. I use a light sugar syrup with Borax powder added, works every time.
Ant like sugars. Are the fruits damaged?

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:13PM
mamuang_gw

For my Asian pears, when I see ants on fruit, those fruit are usually open/damaged by bird pecking or squirrel biting (when they don't take the whole fruit).

After you get rid of ants on the tree, if you don't use sugar and borax, you can wrap a masking tape inside out around the trunk of the tree and smear a product called Tanglefoot of the tape (be careful not to smear the trunk). Sometimes, I use two strips of tape overlapping each other to make a wider band.

I do the same taping on my sweet cherry trunks (after killing aphids) because ants like to farm aphids that are on underside of cherry leaves.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:14PM
copingwithclay

Or, first hose off the ants,...and afterwards snuggly wrap the inside-out masking tape on a smooth area of the trunk that will keep ants from crawling there as long as you keep sticky tape in place. I am too lazy to tangle with Tanglefoot.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:55PM
rehabbingisgreen

Thanks so much for the info! Love the tape idea! I will sure be using that! I will get after them first thing in the morning with the hose and go from there and get them under control. Thanks so much for all the help

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™