Why are raspberries fruiting again?

vickima(z5 MA)September 30, 2007

I planted raspberry canes (varieties Taylor and Prelude, not everbearing) from Nourse Farms in spring 2006. We had a pretty good crop this year, but fruiting ended by early August. Now some of the Prelude canes are fruiting - I didn't think they were supposed to do this. Since I'm new to raspberries this has thrown me for a loop. I was planning to prune out the fruited canes later this fall and thin the row in the spring. Are the canes that are fruiting now done for, so they should be pruned out? I guess these plants don't read the same books I do about how they are supposed to grow!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

Sometimes black raspberries fruit a bit on the new canes. I suppose your Preludes are doing the same. Leave those new fruiting canes for next year.

Bookmark   September 30, 2007 at 9:19PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Vicki, my Preludes do the same thing. In fact with all the late berries I had forgotten they were not a fall berry and so I cut them to the ground last winter, and they are producing a huge fall crop this year. I used to have some Taylors and they never did that.

Scott

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 7:58AM
vickima(z5 MA)

Thanks for your comments, which led me to do some more searching specifically on Prelude, and sure enough Scott, you and I are not alone. I even found this from a Nourse Farms newsletter about how to prune this particular variety:

"Because of the increase in popularity of Prelude, we are repeating the discussion on pruning Prelude for the best yields for the summer crop. During the winter or early spring, prune the canes back to about chest height (about 4 ½ feet). This pruning will cause multiple fruiting laterals or additional cane development from the top auxiliary buds. This pruning also removes the primocane wood that produced fruit the fall before and the multiple cane branching that results in increased fruit production for the coming summer crop."

This is neat! I feel like I got a little extra bonus with this variety - and they taste good too.

Bookmark   October 1, 2007 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™