Goldrush Apple

justjohn(8 AR/LA Stateline)September 11, 2013

Have any of you picked an apple from your goldrush tree? I ate a green one a couple weeks ago and it tasted like a mild Granny Smith. Today I tasted a fresh picked apple and it was nothing like the the one before. It was very sweet with a little acid taste. This is the first year it made apples, and was hand pollinated. I am very satisfied with the results. I never thought I could grow a great tasting apple with grocery store size. The only problem I have is the rusty brown discoloration on the skin. But, a little soap and water and some scrubbing brought out it's beauty. I look forward to tasting my younger trees apples, Jonafree, Braeburn, Granny Smith, and Fuji.

I hope you all had fun and were rewarded well from your labor. Looking forward to next spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thomis(7)

I love the Goldrush apple. Mine aren't ready yet. Probably a couple more weeks to go. I am in central NC.
It is a very popular apple at the Raleigh, NC farmer's market. Nearly every orchard vendor has them for sale.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 7:51AM
rayrose(8)

I've been growing it for 6 years and can never get any to full ripeness because the squirrels always beat me to them. I've even tried netting the tree, but to no avail.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 10:12AM
cousinfloyd

Does anyone else find the texture of goldrush undesirable (for a fresh eating apple)?

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™