Need help with chill question

john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)September 11, 2012

HI All

6 years before I retired I thought it would be nice to grow some fruit trees.Did not know any thing about fruit trees.I went down to the co-op and bought trees.My peaches are doing terrible come to find out they are high chill required.No body tells beginners about chill hours.My trees are 5 years old now.the question is can I graft low chill cuttings on high chill trees.Still mad the co-op sells high chill in low chill area.We only get 4 to 6 hundred chill hours.I have Red Haven,Hale Haven and Bell of Georgia.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Bummer John, sorry to hear that. What you describe is sadly normal practice. But you can use your trees to graft on lower chilling scions. All you need to do is find the scions and make a successful graft, not easy but certainly doable.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 10:31PM
mattpf

Just cutt the tree down to the stock and graft a bunch of different low chill variety to it. Might take 2-3 years to look like a tree again but youl get peaches

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:25PM
john222-gg(Mississippi 8a/8b)

Thanks A Lot

This winter i will buy more trees cut the tops plant the bottoms and keep the wood to graft to old trees.Thanks for the info

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:36PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

John, if you're going to buy more trees, then don't cut off the tops of your new trees. Just plant them :-) Once those newer, low chill varieties get going, you can then cut off some dormant wood next winter and start grafting those to your current trees that are not producing for you. Or, you can see if you have friends with lower chill varieties and simply gather some dormant scionwood from them, saving you from having to buy new trees.

Patty S.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 12:51PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

John get Swanee peach tree if can in zone 8 peaches be ready to eat first June they make before brown rot are worms.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 8:13PM
Ivywild142(6a)

Any peach or nectarine with the prefix "sun" in the name such as Sunglo will be a low chill variety. These were bred in Florida for the southeast. They are also more disease resistant. Ask around if someone on the web has a low chill variety they like.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:44PM
SoTX(8b/9a)

Yep, got some high chill trees myself & only an ugly winter brings those peaches on. Belle of Georgia is worth keeping "just in case", believe me. I order my low chill trees from CA.

Bookmark   September 14, 2012 at 6:41AM
More Discussions
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Strange world of paw paw's
Because the extended drought in my area my paw paw's...
persimmonbob
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Sponsored Products
Free Standing Soap Dispenser Made From Thermoplastic Resins in Transparent Finis
TheBathOutlet
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Westinghouse Vector Elite 52 in. Brushed Nickel and Graphit
Home Depot
Knotted Rattan 3-light Hand Rubbed Ivory Drum Pendant
Overstock.com
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Wreath Mat
$39.50 | FRONTGATE
Mistie Rug 12' x 15' - BEIGE
$6,599.00 | Horchow
ELK Lighting Halophane 1-Light Pendant - 6W in. - 60005-1
$210.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™