Pomegranate variety ID???

0x0is0(9)September 19, 2013

Need some help with the name variety of this pomegranate. Is it possible to ID? Plants with no name drive me crazy.

I usually pick them like this or else they will split later. The pom never gets really red like the nice pictures I see on the internet. Usually the skin is light yellow with pinkish blush.

Pom grower/lover, can you help me with this name variety?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
0x0is0(9)

2nd shot:

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 9:56PM
0x0is0(9)

3rd shot:

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 9:57PM
fabaceae_native

If you're sure it is a named cultivar, your best bet might be matching it to the descriptions in a list of cultivars such as that found in the book "Cornucopia". This is only possible because there are relatively few varieties of pomegranate available in this country...

As a start, the varieties 'sweet', 'phoenicia', 'green globe', and 'cloud' all have mostly or partially green skin when ripe.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 9:44AM
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Actually, there are over 200 varieties available recently. Skin color varies with ripeness, cultivar, growing zone, etc. Do you know the age of the tree? Did you purchase it? Do you have any other fruit trees, even other poms?

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 12:34PM
vieja_gw(z7NM)

Mine grown x seed x a store-bought 'pome.They are now nearly 50 years old/ freezes some years to the ground but always grows back & fruits in my zone 7 @ 5200 ft.! Never had any problems with disease... just local children waiting for them to ripen! Your pics resemble mine... not as all-over red as store bought either. What is the usual variety we buy in the stores? They are not all that red skin either. At $2 a piece in the grocery ...,. I will pamper mine: 'free for the picking'. The blooms come on over a long period in summer but am amazed at how they ALL get the same size & ripen at the same time in the Fall?!

Bet yours really taste great?!

Bookmark   September 21, 2013 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™