Texas AgriLife Pom Paper w/ Russian variety pics

persianmd2orchardSeptember 27, 2012

This has pics and flavor descriptions of a few Russian varieties. My take home from it was Surh Anor is sweet while Al-sirin-anor is sweet-tart. I love seeing the pictures thought I'd share in case anyone interested hasn't seen it. Sorry the link looks all messed up, you may have to have a google account or be signed into google (gmail) to see it--unsure. Just let me know if link doesn't work.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Cy5BexpSo1MJ:aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/fruit-nut/pomegranates.pdf+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgan6g8FPX7qpP-wrJhsHgYJq1-6ONBuZSzAkDUEmNG41n6LYvd3g7A7HU1JT6DA8GLB0tOP6Kk58Jo4OGiqxj3Hwe90aJnv-tumEUPizvaK7gym1ljZMguVzadgTC6s4Szg0fi&sig=AHIEtbR6HQw4BVRtenwOmDvgeSc_qRx1jg&pli=1

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
persianmd2orchard

Clickable link hopefully

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Pom Paper

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 10:25PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Thanks for posting this. Heading to get some more pom plants soon. Company not far from me has about 80 different varieties so still deciding on which ones to purchase.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:43AM
blueboy1977(TX9A/B)

I was just looking at the Monrovia site and they have a new variety called Angel Red. Suppost to be a gourmet Pomagranate. Probably not in local nurseries yet but worth a look.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 9:46PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I noticed on the Bay Laurel website that Angel Red will only be availabe this year and maybe not after:

"One item that we know will no longer be available is the Angel Red pomegranate. Due to a patent issue, this will most certainly be the last year we will have them, so get them while you can!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Bay Laurel Pomegranates

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 11:33PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Good to know thanks. My place has Angel Red so added it to my purchase list.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 9:31AM
shane11

Nice article from Texas on poms. I can say that suhr anor is quite cold hardy and seems to be very productive in my zone 7. It also has delicious fruit but in my climate it has more red/pink arils than what is shown in their picture. I have al sirin nar but it has not fruited yet as it is younger. Compared with salavatski, kazake, and kaj acik anor, surh anor seems (so far) more fruitful. For some reason kaj acik anor has yet to set a single fruit even though it is the same age as the others.

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 4:17PM
persianmd2orchard

Shane would you agree your surh anor is a sweet pom or is it sweet- tart for you?

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 6:16AM
shane11

Surh anor is sweet/tart to me. I have never tasted a pom that did not have any tartness. Kazake is the sweetest of the varieties I have growing and is the smallest fruited. Suhr anor is medium sized.

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™