Hot and Dry!!

jagchaser(5A NE, -15-115f may frost)September 8, 2013

We had 109F yesterday and 105F today with 30 mph winds. I must be stuck in a hole here. We havent had 7 inches of rain since the first of the year. Fruit trees are just barely hanging on with the drip lines running. Everything in the garden looks like it just came out of an oven. Im wondering when it will break!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

For you..never...no..just kidding. It sucks here too. I've had very little rain other then a downpour (with huge hail) in the last 60+ days... this stretch (July 1 to Sept 1) is the driest in local history (dating back to the late 1800's)... tomorrow will be near 100F here (which is the record for that date).

Heat looks to break by Tues and should cool off some the next week. Days are getting much shorter so its only time before the first frost/freeze makes its way south.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 11:40PM
mrsg47(7)

Our weather has been hot and wet (rainy). We are finally beginning to cool down in RI with temps in the 50's at night and in the early am. Still in the 70's during the day. My one 'Elberta' peach is still not ripe. Large but green and rocklike. It is perfect weather for raspberries though. Sorry about the weather in Neb. I cannot imagine that kind of weather.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:37PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

The cold air continues to be aimed at the NE....especially NY state... I wouldn't be surprised an early frost for a lot of folks out that way.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 5:43PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Jag,

Tomorrow the temp will drop to 84F with a 40% chance of rain here in Omaha. The next 2 weeks the temp will be in the upper 70's. What a relief!!

Tony

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:09PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Wasn't it NE that went 15 to 100+F in a few days this spring? This time of year it can reverse that on a dime. Hope not!!!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:31PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

When is said NE...i meant northeast...oops@!

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:30PM
curtis(5)

Fruitnut, I don't remember the exact numbers but in the Omaha area we did something like that this spring. then (if I remember right) no 100's until the last couple weeks. We normally do get 2 weeks of 100+ but it is supposed to be in July.

I saw a climatologist on a TV ag show last weekend. He said some interesting things based on historical cycle data. We are in a several year period of extremes, although anyone can say that today and look smart I suppose. He also said starting about 2025 we will be in weather pattern like that of the dust bowl era. Doesn't mean we will have a dust bowl situation again, there were more factors that went with the weather pattern.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:48PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™