Signs of an early Autum here in California?

itheweathermanSeptember 2, 2013

This is weird, my mulberry tree (and my neighbor's, too) might be confused? The leaves are already turning yellow.

Here in California (High Desert area) the trees shed their leaves around Mid-October----I believe that Fall might arrive earlier than normal. We (Here in California) might have cooler temps by Mid-September.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

My mulberry drops leaves steadily throughout the summer, I suspect due to lack of water. Sure isn't cooling down here yet - finally started heating up the last week or two.

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 1:44AM
fabaceae_native

I agree with yukkuri, you can get this anytime on pretty much any deciduous tree. Usually due to some drought stress, or sometimes low nitrogen.

Of course, trees can't "predict" an early autumn, but rather react to the onset of colder temps. So the weather itself will be the first clue...

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:44AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

The Eastern Sierra is turning early this year too from the reports I have heard, same with Yosemite, but it is due to water stress. It is what commonly happens in a dry year, likewise a wet year and it might be a late fall.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 12:33PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Early fall color is often due to too little water, be that rainfall or irrigation.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 2:13AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I don't think the changing leaves are an indicator, but the decreased sunspot activity might cause us to have a cold winter. Sunspot activity and weather changes are still under study. it appears that increased activity does increase temps. But that conclusion is not evidence until we understand the process. If correct the winters sould be getting colder and colder until about 2020. But the uptick at that time will be short. We are entering a long term decrease in activity. Many predict a mini- ice age. The last mini ice age lasted 300 years. Currently sunspot activity is at an 8 thousand year low. The exact relationship between sunspots and weather is unclear. This peroid will help us understand that relationship better. Just like global warming we are unclear as to what is causing it. The planet Mars temps are also way up as were ours. Although most believe it is manmade it is not proven and still a theory. In any event I think the current cool spell will continue adding to the confusion. This decrease in sunspots just started we are averaging about 66 a year, in 2000 it was 175.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™