Asian Pear questions, dwarf and self pollinating?

missouri1September 24, 2009

I'm trying to find out if there is any kind of small self polinating Asian Pear tree to be had? Maybe a semi dwarf with two varieties grafted or something? I will have a tiny yard so something that won't take up space or need a pollinator would be so great!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a tree like that? Asian Pears are my absolute favorite fruit!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scaper_austin

Hello,
I love the Asian pears too Missouri. I have not had a lot of luck with asians on oldhome #333 which is a semidwarfing stock but I have had some luck with #97 and at least for me it has been pretty dwarfing. This may not be the case at all for you as my soil is so poor and limy that some stocks that are very vigorous elswhere may be more semidwarf here. I'll bet that asians on ohf#87 would likely do great for you and probably be much less vigorous than trees on Betulifolia or some seedling stock. As far as multigrafted trees they should do great for you but you may have to graft them yourself to get the combo that you want. Shinko/Korean Giant on ohf#87? Sounds great to me. Oh, forgot to say I think many asians may be self pollinating but I cant prove it because I have so many varieties.

Thanks,
Scape

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 11:55PM
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

You should have no trouble with Shinseiki. They are self pollinating and will probably have to be thinned to get decent size. I have two dwarfs that produce a bushel. I picked them about a month ago and they taste even better now than first picked.

Bookmark   September 25, 2009 at 12:32AM
thisisme(az9b)

Wish I had gotten a self pollinating tree. I purchased two nice trees 4 years ago and so far they have never flowered at the same time. Not one piece of fruit and they are both full of booms every year just not a the same time.

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 12:55PM
rain2fall(8/Oregon)

I bought a dwarf Shinseiki at Costco several years ago. It is now six feet tall and bearing lots of nashi. I don't know what rootstock it has. I don't have any other pears and haven't noticed any in the neighborhood.

Rain2Fall
Nashi Nosher

Bookmark   September 26, 2009 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™