sick mango tree

jauntyjohn_123September 5, 2013

White on leaf, north thailand, planted 8 weeks. Any advice appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Doesn't appear to be disease on lower leaves. Is it getting worse or staying the same? Likely mechanical damage or brief water shortage.

New growth looks fine.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 1:59AM
jauntyjohn_123

Been like that for two weeks, rainy season here, groundi is damp but hot during the day, 30celcius.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:27AM
jauntyjohn_123

Should i remove the affected leaves, more water or leave it?

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:31AM
mamuang_gw

If it rains/pours every other day, I would not water it. I would mulch the base of the tree instead. I'd not remove the affected leaves (not yet).

When did you plant it? If it's not too long, you may want to shade it to lessen the heat intensity for a few weeks.

Just curious, what variety is that mango tree? What province are you in the north?

Mango is one of the easiest trees to grow in Thailand.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 4:51PM
mamuang_gw

I'd like to add that if you post in the Tropicals forum on this Gardenweb, you are likely to get more answers. Questions about mango trees are posted fairly often.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:37PM
jauntyjohn_123

Thanks, im near udon thani, sorry, i dont know the variety. I planted it about 9 weeks ago. It is at the end of the rainy season so it is raining oncë each 5 or 6 days now.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:34PM
jauntyjohn_123

Thanks, im near udon thani, sorry, i dont know the variety. I planted it about 9 weeks ago. It is at the end of the rainy season so it is raining oncë each 5 or 6 days now.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 11:36PM
mamuang_gw

You are way up there in the northeast. If your mango tree is in full sun all day, I feel that you should protect this little tree by mulching about 3-4 " thick and about 3 ft in diameter at the base of the tree.

E-san is known for hot and dry weather, giving it some shade in the afternoon (1 - 3 pm) for couple more months is not a bad idea. Water it (if no rain) deeply once a week should be fine if your tree is mulched. Otherwise, you may need to water it more often.

I don't think you tree looks sick. It probably is still adjusting to a new home and from being in the heat. General speaking, soil in the Northeast is not the best andt the heat is also harsh. Baby it a bit does not hurt.

Check GardenWeb forums' main page. Go down to the bottom third, look for a Column labeled "By Name of Plant" and go down that column to Tropicals. That's where you want to post your tropical fruit/tree questions.

Hopefully, you planted a sweet variety or the one that is eaten green and not sour. I don't think there is a name of the latter in English.

Good luck

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 1:36PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Several forums for tropicals.

This one = tropical fruits
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/tropicalfruits/

Here is a link that might be useful: tropical fruit forum

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™