What are Ussurian pears good for?

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)September 5, 2008

I collected some seed from a mature specimen at the local arboretum without knowing much about the species, but now I'm scratching my head with what to do with the seedlings. The tree itself is attractive in spring while flowering, but the fruit is apparently inedible by humans.

I have found in my readings that they are very resistant to fireblight. Can the seedlings be used as rootstock onto which other, edible pear varieties can be grafted onto? Otherwise, they'll be going out to the woods for the wildlife (will wildlife enjoy those rock-hard fruits?). Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, I think this may be used for rootstock by some. Otherwise primarily an ornamental, as is Callery pear. Since the latter has also become a weed in eastern North America Ussurian pear may also have some pest potential. I haven't heard.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 6:54PM
lucky_p

P.ussuriensis (Harbin pear) makes a good rootstock for Asian pear varieties - but I don't know which, if any, of the named varieties are reliably zone 4 hardy. I suspect most hardy european selections and hybrids would also be graft-compatible with P.u.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 9:58AM
FoothillsOrchard(2a)

A great many cider apples are unpalatable as eating apples - has anyone tried making perry from Ussurian pears?

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 1:16PM
canadianplant

Rootstock and breeding. I think theyre also used for pollinating some pears as well (could only the the Ussurian hybrids). I have a "john" pear which is a hybrid with the russian pear. Nice looking trees and very very hardy. i have read conflicting reports of how the fruit tastes (for the hybrid).

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 10:21AM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™