best time to transplant strawberries?

thisbud4u(San Diego)September 8, 2008

I've got a half-row of strawberries (Mara des Bois variety---luscious) which were such a hit this year that I want to rip up the row and transplant the plants to a full row to give them more room. I was waiting for them to set runners, but for some crazy reason, they didn't create more than a few runners all year. Not sure what that's all about---possibly overcrowding of the plants.

Question: is there any reason I can't do this transplanting operation in the fall, or should I wait for spring? Here in coastal San Diego area, we don't really get winter (no frost, not many chilling hours), so I'm thinking it should be OK to transplant now, but there may be a daylength issue I haven't considered. Might the transplants fare better with a lenthening daylength instead of a shortening one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

My strawberries are just now showing inclination to set runners. Perhaps waiting a bit might prove useful.

These were purchased a few years ago when the local growers were selling some plants. I also have a few purchased from a catalog (Tri-Star). Both seem to be performing about the same, but I lost a good deal earlier from what looked like red stele (sp), but those remaining look healthy. My recent feeding with compost tea might have been a factor as they became quite "perky" then.

Where were you able to get the Mara des Bois? Those from the local growers which I purchased were called Camarosa - I think. Home Depot sells a different variety - I note, which I haven't tried - they usually look a bit sad by the time I get to them, so have not purchased any.

Just my 2 c's.

Bejay

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 6:22AM
calistoga_al

From what I have heard of San Diego climate you should be able to transplant in the fall with no problem. Al

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 9:53AM
thisbud4u(San Diego)

bejay, I got Mara des Bois from a local company, just down the road in Solana Beach. If you do a search on the Gardenweb for "Mara des Bois" you'll find the thread in which the person was selling them. That was about 3-4 years ago, so I have no idea whether the company is still in business.

calistoga, thanks, I suspected this was the case.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™