Banana plant in zone 8

itheweathermanSeptember 18, 2013

Has anyone successfully grown a banana plant in zone 8b?

I bought one a few weeks ago, so I hope it survives the Mojave Desert weather, I'll bring it indoors when winter comes and then take it out when spring arrives.

I'll probably plant it in a 10 gallon pot. I hope it sets fruits some day; this is dwarf banana plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

That looks like a musa acuminata of some sort. IF it isnt a cavendesh then the fruits will have seeds.

In zone 8 you could try protecting it like most people protect musa basjoo. When the cold starts to kill off the leaves cut it down to a 2 or 3 foot stump make a cage a foot across and fill it with leaves. You could just leave it and mulch the ground really well and it should come back....

Either way I wouldnt plant it right now. They do really well indoors in a south facing window, and i would recommend that for this winter...

IF youre looking for an edible banana for your zone you may think of trying Musa "helens hybrid". IF youre growing for looks then there are about 10 kinds that should be hardy, 3 or 4 shouldnt need protection there.

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™