Hardy Kiwi in a container?

bullet08(7)October 28, 2012

i'm new to hardy kiwi. i just got 4 very very small plants from hirt's garden. they are very small, but healthy. i have anna female, meader male, and arctic beauty male and female.

i have read that hardy kiwi needs to use trellis and plant in ground.

however, if there are any possible way to grow them in continer, i would rather grow them in container. maybe in 20 gal container with support and round ring on top to have the vain drapped over the side. is that possible? i'm not looking for big crop. i just want enough to taste.

i'm more into figs and have too many fig trees to care for. but i want to try kiwi in small scale.

don't have much of space for anything else.

might consider mango next.

thanks,

pete

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luigi_13(7b)

Hi Pete,
my brother purchased one plant of "Issai" this year. it was potted in a 20cm vase, and was 60cm tall and full of flowers. it has produced about 30 ripe fruits, and still in the same pot. (Issai is self fertile).
So, do try and good luck!
Luigi

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:14PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

pete:

I haven't had the hardy kiwi but have grown most everything else in pots 15 gal and smaller. So yours should work at that size. I have done the trellis thing in a pot. For Kiwi the trellis would need to be pretty sturdy. I can visualize one with 3-4 legs and a circle about 4ft up.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 3:18PM
bullet08(7)

thanks guys. i think i'll try it next spring. have 4 hardy kiwi that i just purchased. if they survive the winter, they will go in bigger pot to grow and when they are tall enough, will go into 20 gal pot with support and a circle.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 9:11AM
persianmd2orchard

btw Anna and 49er are in my opinion much better tasting than the rest. Issai tastes the most eh to me and is only partially self fertile. Also males can pollinate several females and the male can be kept small since it won't bear you fruit.

also will need very strong support, think3x strength of grape vines.

good luck and enjoy the potted adventure!

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™