Best time for planting Peach, Cherry,Apple Pear trees

MySweetLadyJane(6)October 17, 2012

I am new to zone 6, and want to plant fruit trees. I have done my research and selected the varieties for my zone. Now I need to know when to actually purchase and plant them,fall or spring? I found lots of conficting info on this topic. We have already had a couple days of frost.This past spring we were still getting freezing and snow well into May.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

In your zone either is possible. But since bare root trees survive and grow better than potted, next spring is a better bet. Plant them as early as you can. Best planting time is late February or March after the chances of zero type weather has passed and the soil has dried enough to work.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 9:48AM
mamuang_gw

Lady Jane,

Here's my 2 cents. I am in zone 6 on the east coast (central MA). I've grown apple, peach and cherry trees. I've never planted in the fall for fear that trees would not get established in time before the soil freezes (could just be my unfound fear).

I've always planted my trees in the spring. We do have snow on the ground into April. When I order trees, I always ask a nursery to send them to me around mid April. It's easier for me to dig a hole when the soil is not so hard. (it's hard enough to dig into many rocks for each hole.)

I may plant later than others recommended for zone 6 but I have never had any problem with my trees getting established.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:59PM
MySweetLadyJane(6)

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Would May be too late if the ground is still frozen in April (as it was last year)?

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:40AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Plant in spring as soon as you can after the soil thaws and is dry enough to work.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:39PM
More Discussions
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™