Safe to get scion from apple tree with fireblight ?

garedneckOctober 27, 2012

I have a couple dwarf apple trees which got fireblight this year and you can still see the dark section of bark on the tree trunk and a couple branches (where it struck) although the trees appear to be healthy and growing with plenty of nice green leaves. Is it safe to take a scion from these trees and graft to other apple trees which have not shown signs of fireblight? Or are just about any tree disease systemic and thus grafting a piece to another tree would put it at risk as well?

My experience with fireblight on apple trees is that once it hits the main trunk, the following year it generally spreads throughout the tree eventually killing it and or it spreads to other healthy apple trees. I have butchered a couple small trees to remove all fireblight, and they seem to be recovering, but will remove them if fireblight reappears.

Same logic apply to for example a cherry tree with bacterial canker or a peach tree with peach leaf curl?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitcraz

Garedneck,

I would avoid getting scionwoods from an infected tree. You can ask people on this forum for apple scionwoods and pay postage or trade different fruit varieties for apple scionwoods. You can also buy it at Wagonwheel Orchard run by Rick.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Peach leaf curl isn't systemic at all. The leaf buds are infected at very early swell stage but it doesn't travel through the tree from one leaf bud to another.

Fireblight and bacterial canker aren't really systemic like a virus would be. But the infection can be present in small amounts a good distance from any outward symptoms. So you are taking some risk using that wood as a scion.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™