help!!! moles and voles

strawberryjohnjohnOctober 9, 2012

Someone has to have some way of getting rid of the moles and voles in my organic garden. They are overwelming my strawberries, blueberries and vegetable garden. I have tried wind mills, electronics, traps, and water. I just find more and more damage. This year alone I lost 75% of my crops to them. HELP!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

You need a cat. I don't own one but there are three in our area that love the orchard and berry patches. I get upset when they get a bird, but I haven't seen a mouse or vole in a very long time.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 10:52AM
oldryder

an outside cat or cats. housepet cats are too spoiled and often do not hunt at all.

give them good shelter (I use a rubbermaid tub with a blanket and pet heater) and a modest amount of food and you will regularly see them with rodents in their mouth. if they really like you sometimes they'll leave the dead rodents on your porch as a present.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 11:58PM
alan haigh

You can try different kinds of traps such as zappers but trapping should work if you are persistent. Some years it can be very difficult, but if you have to set 50 traps or more, so be it. I am about to order plastic traps from Gemplers which I set with peanuts or almonds under large trays (the kind used for mixing small batches of concrete). I protect about 3 acres of nursery this way with good success. I'll be moving around 10 trays and 40 traps until the first heavy snow.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:33AM
johnmerr(11)

I use aluminophosphid tablets; I don't know if that is actually organic or not, but it sure drives the little buggers away.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 10:17PM
Biomed(6)

My cat keeps all the rodents at bay.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:55AM
mrsg47(7)

Johnmerr, what are those tablets? I tried googling them , but what came up was PHd lingo on catalytic seives.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™