Long Term Apple Storage?

bart1(6/7 Northern VA)October 9, 2012

Is it possible to store apples at home for months and months? I'm thinking about planting a Goldrush apple tree after having some this spring at my local farmers market, but I'm worried I won't be able to keep them in storage long enough. From what I've read, their flavor improves after 2 or 3 months in cold storage. I was eating some incredible tasting Goldrush apples last June....approximately 7 months after harvest!!!

Is it possible to get anywhere near that type of storage time with just a regular refrigerator? Or do I need super low temps and some type of gas to get them to keep that long?

Thanks,

Bart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

You need a freezer in the garage (which you can get easily on craigslist for $50-100), and a thermostat controller

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA

Fill the freezer with apples, connect the thermostat, eat until summer. 35F is probably a good temperature to set it at.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:55PM
ltilton

I have a regular upright refrigerator, and I've kept them for several months, into the next year. Most of mine are Galas, which aren't good keepers. I'm hoping for better keepage when I get more Enterprise and Fujis.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 1:51PM
glib(5.5)

A cheaper, though labor expensive alternative, is to build an insulated storage box, with room for 5 gallon buckets besides the apples. Freeze the buckets (outside in winter, in the freezer in spring) and replace in the box as needed.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™