Black Peaches in Paris

mrsg47(7)October 19, 2013

I am so sorry I didn't photograph these black peaches while in France. I bought four of them but only ate one, actually only part of one. The peach looked so dark red it was almost black (on the outside with fuzz). The inside of the peach was totally deep red and delicious looking. Much to my surprise it was as bitter as can be with only a very light hint of sugar. I thought of bringing back the pits but decided against it. This was the peach I was looking for in the US. It was totally ripe and juicy. What a surprise. Scott mentioned that he has one of these peach trees. Scott are your black peaches bitter? I did return with chestnuts and hazelnuts, however. They will be good to eat. Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
itheweatherman

I believe that they are Pamela peaches, they were developed in Spain by PSB producion vegetal.

Here is the Link, (It's in Spanish)

http://www.psbproduccionvegetal.com/productos.php?familia=2&producto=0amp;novedad=0

then click melocoton (peach)

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
itheweatherman

Here is list of the translated names of the fruits---from the Spanish website:

Nectarinas: Nectarines.

Melocotones: Peaches.

Melocotones chatos: Flat Peaches.

Albaricoques: Apricots.

Pavias: ???? I never heard of that fruit before, the foliage looks like a peach. It could be a peach hybrid?

Nectarinas chatas: Flat nectarines.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 12:59PM
mrsg47(7)

Theweatherman,I looked up the 'Pamela' peach and it has white flesh. The peaches I'm talking about were probably from Spain, however the flesh was deep red. Thanks though! Great site.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 2:28PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I don't have any black peaches, only red ones. They are all sweet, some of them like Indian Free are very sweet.

That French peach sounds like it must be a cooking or pickling peach.

Scott

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:28PM
sf_rhino

Pavia I believe is a clingstone peach. Words for peach and apricot vary by country/region. You'll also see apricots called melocotones and peaches called duraznos in some places.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 10:18PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks all, it was a clingstone peach and must have been for cooking or pickling. Its not that it didn't have sugar in its taste, its just that is was predominantly bitter. Very unusual. The best dark red fleshed color I have ever seen. Mrs. G

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™