Preparing strawberries for winter

fishacuraOctober 2, 2012

I planted my first strawberry plants in the spring. Had a decent first year and now I'm not sure what to do prior to winter. I "think" I am supposed to cut these back flush with the ground.....is this accurate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

No, don't cut all the leaves down to nothing. I've had success here both ways, with covering them up, or even just leaving them alone and not doing anything to prepare. It is probably best to cover them with 6-12 inches deep of straw (hence the name "straw berries"!) or similar material to keep them from freezing hard. I think I'm going to do that with mine this year, although probably not until like December when it starts getting really cold. It seems to me that they can tolerate some cold, but maybe not 20 degrees below or something like that. Last winter was extremely mild here so mine survived the mild winter without any protection at all. But I shouldn't be taking chances this year because who really knows what the weather will do. In spring then, as soon as the snow melts, the straw can be removed and they'll be fine from then on out. If they are well rooted, they are fairly tough plants in my experience. This is year #3 for mine. The same mother plant from a few years ago is still alive and still producing berries, even though I neglected it for an entire year (2011).

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fishacura

Really? Others have said to cut back the leaves flush with the ground...Why such different methods on what to do?

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 2:32PM
More Discussions
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™