Pruning in autumn

franktank232(z5 WI)October 18, 2012

Anyone do it? Problems? I had to prune some peaches back that i'm moving and to get hardware cloth around them (they had a lot of very low branches). I think i've done this in the past and don't recall seeing any issues... I doubt removing small wood like this should be a problem? I don't think i'd removing and quarter sized diameter wood this time of year...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Pruning peaches in your zone is not good in really cold weather (mid-Nov-March I would guess) but that is the only constraint. In my climate I prune year-round. I started on my "winter" pruning a few weeks ago, I like dealing with major shape-change pruning early on since the rest of the pruning depends on it.

Scott

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 2:21PM
alan haigh

The mid-Oct snow storm last year here once again showed that fall pruning can be OK. It isn't recommended for peaches by the current guidelines for the northeast but I am unaware of research that demonstrates the danger. Kansas peach growers in the last century used to prune peaches as late as early fall to increase cold hardiness- now the claim is that it reduces it. Generally I'd recommend against it in Z5 although I suspect the danger is only the possibility of extreme cold shortly after pruning as it is with apples. After 2 or 3 weeks apple wounds harden.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 3:07PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

So hard to know how cold of a winter is in store, but hopefully there won't be any issues. I only pruned back a few (peach seedlings). I also plan on moving a few. I'd like to do it now so I have more time to do other things come spring.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 3:10PM
ltilton

I like to prune just after the leaves drop, which is usually early November.

This has a lot to do with the brush pickup schedule, but also the prevailing weather.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 7:24PM
alan haigh

Here I transplant in fall every year- and scores of trees including bare roots. I will be moving 20 trees to a zone 5b in a few days- all bearing age trees with some on bare roots. A nice insulating mulch and they will be fine.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 9:04PM
mrsg47(7)

H-man do you prune your trees after they are transplanted?

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™