self-fruitful plum/peach/nectarine recommendation for SF bay area

daggerOctober 2, 2012

Two months ago I tasted super-sweet plums and peaches from a ranch in Modesto, CA (smith ranch?) and I just can't forget the taste. Especially the plum (greenish skin and yellowish flesh.. don't know what kind but it was AWESOME!)

I know the climate in my area is different from Modesto (milder both in Summer and Winter) but I'd like to try a plum/peach/nectarine tree in my yard. Can anyone recommend some of the best ones I can grow in my area (SF Bay area)?

I am looking for self-fruitful plum/peach/nectarine varieties, low chill hours, sweet flavor (the sweeter the better, not a real fan of tartness), and hopefully hardy and less prone to diseases.

I have space for only one tree and it is full-sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melikeeatplants

Since it's only one tree why don't you get a multi-budded tree and have a few varieties on it. Look for some of Dave Wilsons trees, they are sold all over the bay area, from the big box stores to Summer Winds to the little guys. You can get them off the internet as well. Santa Clara Master Gardeners recommend you plant the tree bare root, in the dormant season (Jan/Feb) and use native soil only, slightly mounded...

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave Wilson Fruit Trees

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™