Eutypa dieback risk for pluots

rosefollyOctober 10, 2012

I took a risk and it didn't work out.

Due to one life issue and another, I did not get my two plout trees pruned or picked last month, a Dapple Dandy and a Flavor Grenade. Our winter rains had not started yet so I decided to pick what fruit was still worth keeping (about half of it) and pitch the rest over the fence for the deer. I also picked up any mummies and did the same with them. Then I pruned to size.

Wouldn't you know it, last night it rained. Not a lot, but the first of the season. Now I am concerned about eutypa dieback, given that open wounds and water are the primary means of transmission. Now I have not seen any eutypa on plums in my garden, but I have had it on an apricot which I subsequently removed and replaced. I have read that plums can get eutypa but it is apricots that are most highly susceptible. Pluots have both plum and apricot in their ancestry, so I am wondering how vulnerable they are. And if they are at risk, what can/ought I to do about it? I have considered painting the wounds with a liquid copper fungicide. Would that help? Is the next day too late?

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Rosefolly:

My reference says Eutypa does not occur on plum, prune, peach, or nectarine. It is a major issue on apricot, sweet cherry, and grapes. Since pluots are basically plums I won't be too concerned.

One treatment mentioned was flaming the cut surface with a torch for 5-10 seconds. But this is intended to seal the wound before infection not after. Using copper might help and probably won't hurt.

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 5:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

Fruitnut, I have never seen Eutypa on plums but one source I ran across said that it happens. I will assume that it is at least rare and put it out of my mind. Thanks for the reassurance.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™