planting dwarf citrus trees close to fence

daggerOctober 2, 2012

I have a narrow strip yard (about 1.5 ft wide) next to 8-foot fence. And I am wondering if I can plant some dwarf citrus trees like dwarf oranges and kumquats. The fence is south-east facing and will get full sun.

Will it be okay to plant them there if I maintain the trees to smaller sizes by trimming? I've seen some citrus trees that were planted right next to fences and they seem growing fine. And dwarf citrus trees I checked will grow to 6-8 feet high, so they seem manageable.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

You can easily prune your citrus, in most cases, with a clear trunk up about 6 feet, so the bulk of the tree clears the solid fence, and is in full sun. The roots should adapt well to the space you have. Al

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 9:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

dagger, you certainly should be able to grow citrus in this manner and space. I would make sure you purchase trees on a significantly dwarfing rootstock not just semi-dwarf trees. Four Winds Fruit Growers put nearly all their citrus on very dwarfing rootstock, Cuban Shaddock. This will help to keep the trunk diameter down for you, as well as the mature height. As Al has mentioned, you can prune for both height and shape. Just make sure not to over-prune, as you'll prune off your flowers & future fruit (citrus flower at the ends of their branches). Citrus are often used as lovely screens along fence lines and serve well as double duty - screening and fruit. Plus, they don't litter much, so they do make a very nice screening option if you can wait a bit for them to "grow up". Also, just so you know, there is a Citrus Forum on GW, where your question might better addressed.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Growers

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Hazelnuts
Do you need more than 1 hazelnut to produce fruit/nuts?...
redspruce
Sponsored Products
Prichard - Slate Blue Fabric sectional with right-arm chaise
Interior Define
David Bromstad Red "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
Rose Bowl
$9.99 | zulily
"Fiesta" Faux Floral Arrangement
$265.00 | Horchow
Vondom | Moma High Table Illuminated
YLiving.com
Farmer D Organics Classic Urban Planter - CL-URBAN-SQ.
$249.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™