Fruit tree to espalier with partial shade?

LilyBrianneOctober 9, 2012

I'm hoping to find a fruit tree that will do well in partial shade (it would be planted on the west side of my house which receives filtered sunlight due to a large but spindly tree). I have done a lot of research but am struggling to find a fruit tree that will do alright in the shade. I am planning on growing in a large container so that I can bring it to shelter during the winter, I've heard some plum varieties may do well in shade but I was really hoping I might be able to find a citrus or something more exotic since we already have an abundance of plum and apricot growing on our farm. Has anyone had good experiences growing citrus trees in partial shade?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I would grow a gooseberry or currant. They are a bush and can be fan pruned. They will fruit less in the shade but will produce tasty fruits. My favorite is the Poorman gooseberry. It is not very productive in the shade but the taste is excellent when left to hang to be a dull purple. Pawpaws are one other option, they are natural shade trees. The production will be limited in the shade but I am fine with limited production since I can't eat too many of them. I tried several other fruits in the shade and did not get good results.

Scott

Bookmark   October 10, 2012 at 9:17AM
LilyBrianne

Thanks!

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 4:59PM
drewbym(MO6B)

Raspberries may do well, too. It's usually recommended that they go in full sun, but I've grown both raspberries and some blackberries in partial shade without problem.

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™