What can I cut from my apple tree now for grafting?

alisande(Zone 4b)October 27, 2012

I was told earlier this year that February is the best time to cut a scion (?) and put it in the freezer, to be grafted in spring. But I'm afraid the last of my King apple tree is going to come down in the storm we're forecast to get next week, and I'd like to do at least try to save some of it for grafting.

I have no idea what to cut! I hope you can help, thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

They should go into your fridge, not freezer.

The reason February is a good time is because the tree should be fully dormant and that's about the latest you can count on that.

Too early and they spend more time in storage during which they can mold or dry out. With good storage conditions though both are manageable.

You want relatively straight new growth that is hardened off and dormant. Maybe pencil diameter in lengths perhaps 6-12" long. Store them in a ziplock bag wrapped in a barely damp paper towel.

Put them in the fridge. Every month or so, check and verify that there is still some moisture in the bag and they aren't molding.

In the early spring graft them onto another tree or rootstock.

Or just buy another King apple tree. It will be the same effect.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 4:07PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Cut scion about a month before growing season starts, in your zone it would be around April, if so, cut in March.
You can also cut when just the start of swelling bud appears and graft on the same day. Too long in storage in not a good idea.
Cut the last year's growth's...which is the very end of branch.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 11:41PM
alisande(Zone 4b)

I'm sorry for not replying to this thread. Thank you both for your advice! The tree didn't come down after all (whew!), and I'm in the process of doing the cutting now. In addition to the King, we're going to try to graft an old Russet.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 7:41PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™