Few questions about avocado

FarmerArmbandOctober 9, 2012

I recently bought a hass avocado tree from a local nursery and it's about 8-9 feet tall. I kept it in the pot for about a week until the weather cooled down to about high 70s (in Los Angeles). After transplanting a few days ago, I watered well but now I'm noticing a lot of the leaves drooping. I realize that it might be from transplant shock.

1) how long should I expect to wait before it gets better?

2) what can I do to make sure there is nothing else causing the droop?

3) I read somewhere on here that it is best to have the root crown exposed so it can take in oxygen, is this true? What more information is there on this?

Il upload some pics when I get home later today. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Very will could be transplant shock. Avocado trees have very, very fragile feeder roots and do not like them disturbed. When you plant, you MUST carefully lay your tree on it's side, carefully slide of the pot, then lower the tree into the hole by holding the soil ball, NOT by grasping the trunk. You will break the feeder roots if you do that. It will come back. Just be sure to keep the soil moist, but not drenched. They don't tolerate really wet feet. Planting the tree so that the trunk in higher than the water well is important. Yes, do not plant too deeply, or you can end up with gummiosis. Be sure not to remove any dropped leaves, as they like their own leaf mulch. Fertilize lightly every month with an avocado/citrus fertilizer.

Patty S.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™