Surprise Apple Variety

nc_orchard(7a)October 13, 2012

I was excited this year to get some apples on my Fuji tree for the first time. Come end of September when I expected them to be ready for harvest, they were still completely green. No red color whatsoever. Many were covered in Sooty Blotch and Fly Spec and I thought that could be causing the failure to color properly, but I had some that I put in ziplocs that showed minimal Sooty Blotch and Fly Spec, but they were still green too. I left the apples on the tree thinking they were not ripe yet, but first of October they started to drop. I picked them all, and they seemed to taste OK. Not sure if they tasted like a Fuji.

Do I not have a Fuji tree, or is there another potential reason for the apples not coloring up? Would it have anything to do with this being the first crop on a three year old tree?

Also, the tree was purchased from Willis Orchard before I started reading this forum and new better, so authenticity of the variety may be of question.

If it's not a Fuji, it's upsetting as I've been waiting a while for these to fruit and don't want to have to replace them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Few apples color well in a hot climate. My Fuji don't develop much color either. The fruit is also shorter, more squat, in a hot climate. Mine aren't ripe yet although the birds start eating them in August. I used to pick Oct 1 partly because of the birds. Mine are sweeter picked later. Yours may sweeten up some in storage but mine didn't seem to.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 4:34PM
ltilton

I'd say there's a significant likelihood your tree isn't a Fuji.

Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 4:59PM
alan haigh

You might provide a picture. Color may vary but shape is fairly reliable. Fuji is distinctly sweet- very few other varieties get up as much low acid sugar.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:58AM
applenut_gw

Ours are still about three weeks out; you may have picked them too early. When ripe our Fuji's have a golden-orange color to the flesh.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 11:02AM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™