Sorting apples for long term storage

creekweb(6,7)October 5, 2012

This year i used a very limited spray program on my apples which gave mostly okay results but with higher incidence of minor imperfections than usual. I'm now sorting my apples and am considering which imperfections would disqualify an apple from being fit for long term (3 - 6+ month) storage. The imperfection type and approximate percentage affected are scab (up to 2 spots less than 3mm) 30%, PC scars 10%, windfalls with soft areas I know I could invoke conventional wisdom and just rule out all apples with imperfections for long term storage, but I'm really not looking for advice on this decision, but instead for specific observations some of you may have had of any of these insults definitely leading to rot or not.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windfall_rob(vt4)

I have held apples with PC feeding scars (or so I believe they are) for several months without noticeable issue.
I would never try something witha soft spot for more than a week or two.

I find it useful to have 3 piles...culls for cider and prompt use, minor damage to be held in refrigeration and eaten within say 1 month...this is mostly a break in the skin or very minor scab, and perfect/near perfect long term cellering apples.

yellowjacket damage has been the heaviest loss this year

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:08PM
ltilton

Same here. I've never put any apples damaged in those ways into storage except for the PC scars. My rule is - if the skin is broken or open, it doesn't make it into the storage pile. The PC scars are healed over by the time the apple is picked.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:26PM
creekweb(6,7)

I'm seeing two types of PC scars on my apples - the early bites resulting in tan plaques and the late bites which appear as notches. The early bites appear stable and apples with these seem suitable for long term storage. Any observations on the stability of the late bite damage?

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:04PM
HGFzone8

Don't forget caning apple pie filling is an excellent way using some of those apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Caning

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 8:07AM
More Discussions
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™