Fuyu Persimmon Wrapped for Protection.

Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9bOctober 16, 2013

We bought this home and discovered a Fuyu Persimmon tree. The lady who sold us the house said one day the fruit was orange. Next day it was gone. This worried us because that's exactly what happened to our peach on this property!

We noticed fruit turning color, and next we noticed bite marks on a few.

I don't know anything about persimmons, never having grown or tasted one, but I do know how to protect fruit from rabbits, voles, coons, coyotes and birds.

We completely surrounded the lower branches with gopher wire about 3' high. We then attached bird netting to that and completely encased that tree! Every day the fruit gets riper with no interference with nature's critters.

It's going to be a trick for us to figure out how to get under all that and pick a nice harvest!

Next big job is to learn what to do with all that harvest!
Suzi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

DD,

If you can't eat them all then dry some for winter snack.

Tony.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 10:33PM
charlieboring

Persimmons store well (2-3 months) in a cool location. Fuyus can be eaten like an apple since the skin is not aspirent (sp). Makes a great after dinner desert.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 6:32AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Nice to know that they store well.

What is the flavor like? I did some research online and found that you should prune them off the tree close to the fruit and let them sit a couple days. Is that correct?

Thanks!
Suzi

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:04AM
charlieboring

The taste is similar to cantelope, a little bland and sweet. When properly ripe they are quite tasty. I face a problem on my tree with crows and racoons eating them. I have a neighbor who placed paper bags over the fruit to keep the crows off. For the best results, the fruit should turn orange while on the tree. Harvest them after that, but they are best eaten when they start to get soft. The only reason that I prune my tree is to control the shape (cut off the lower limbs to keep the fruit from weighing them down too low) and to remove limbs growing inside and interupting the sun from other limbs. Whe harvesting, I cut the twig close to the fruit and then place the fuit in paper bags in a cool basement for storage. We often eat one after the evening meal as desert, much like the Italians.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 12:05PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

You can slice them evenly and put in a dehydrator and they are pretty good.

Not being a big fan of them, I don't worry about protecting the fruit at all. But you might find it easier to put a rat ring on the truck of tin to keep the climbing critters out. The crows like them as much as the rats. They are easier to pick if you clip the steams rather than try and yank the fruit off.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Bushwhacker Blood
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Do grape scion wood have to been last year's growth?
I have a 8-10 yr old grapevine that never bear any...
Sara_in_philly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™