Planting raspberries in fall? (apple tree too!)

grullablue(5)October 12, 2008

Can raspberry plants be bought/planted in the fall or do I need to wait until spring? I'm thinking of something everbearing, like Hertitage rasberries.

I don't know what kind yet, but I'd also like to plant some kind of apple tree in my yard as well. Would this need to wait until spring?

Thanks!

Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

No, you can plant "containerized" (the industry term for potted) hardy nursery stock right until the ground freezes, as long as you mulch the soil and keep it well watered. Fall is a great time to find bargains -- I picked up 2 apples and 6 peach trees at Lowe's for $3.25 each last week, 75% off. They had "Fall Gold" raspberries as well, would have been $2.50, but I already have a big stand of "Kiwi Gold," a much better fall yellow raspberry, so I didn't need them.

Some mail-order places will ship to zones 6 and warmer for fall planting, including Stark Bros, but don't recommend bare root for planting in colder zones until spring. Most mail order places won't be shipping again until next spring, though.

So yes, if you can find the plants, by all means go ahead and plant them.

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 6:27PM
grullablue(5)

Thanks! I was thinking I might be able to find a few bargains this time of year....probably not as lucky as you though, WOW!
Thanks for the post, I'm a total newbie, but a total fruitaholic who's getting tired of buying it at the store! If, someday, I could have my own orchard, I'd never leave it! =)

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 10:42PM
grullablue(5)

(I just saw your fruitaholic post....didn't see that before! So you understand! When I was a kid.... my mom always put fruit in my Easter basket, because I wouldn't eat half the candy that was in them....I loved Easter...because I always got a fruit basket of my very own! Ahh...memories.....)

Bookmark   October 12, 2008 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Best place to grow Fruit Trees - OUTSIDE of California
Heya, So I'm about to make a rather silly/stupid post...
mystearica
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Sponsored Products
Snail Slug Trap
$10.99 | zulily
Trellis Caddy
$29.99 | zulily
Garden Gourmet Live Heirloom Tomato - Set of Six
$24.99 | zulily
Jaipur Metro Maryse Area Rug - RUG110501
$62.00 | Hayneedle
Red Carpet Studios Birds of a Feather Chimes - 10722
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Brown Cotton Border Panama Sisal Rug, Tan
Cost Plus World Market
Jaipur Maroc Nada Flat Weave Moroccan Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC001010-0163
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Jayce Collection 18 1/2" High Black LED Landscape Path Light
$34.95 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™