peaches in October

aniya(z5 IN)October 22, 2013

Drove past a friend's peach tree today and saw it had several peaches on it. In late October! How can this be? They were just starting to ripen and they were delicious. We are in northern Indiana. This is the first time this tree has born fruit. So was it an environmental fluke or could it possibly be a fabulous genetic fluke?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Many peaches produce in October, even November but are usually grown on the west coast. I was advised against putting them here, but I may rethink that! Find out what cultivar it is, and you will have your answer.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 8:20

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 8:17AM
eboone_gw

...and post here what the variety is! That would be nice to know for the rest of us too.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:23AM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

In my limited experience I've found that the later they ripen the better the flavor. So far my latest has been O'Henry, and it is superb. I picked up an Autumn Star this year at Costoc so we'll see how late we can get it to go here in Colorado

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 1:45PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Yeah O'Henry sounds like a good one to get. Everybody has super positive reports about it. it's certanly on my short list! Indian Free is another that is mentioned as late and good. We even got fruitnut to try this tart but sweet cultivar.
Highest scoring peach on the Dave Wilson taste tests. Well for now...

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 7:55PM
aniya(z5 IN)

The thing is, it isn't a special cultivar. He thinks it is an Elberta and he probably got it from Arbor Day Foundation in one of those cheap collections. He really is not into orcharding. That is why I believe it is some type of fluke. But thanks for your comments; now I plan to check out some of the cultivars you mentioned.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:39PM
calistoga_al

I just bought a flat from Costco of a peach called 'The Last Tango' very good, but not freestone. Al

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™