What fruit does the best with 6 hours strong sun?

bhawkins(8A Dallas)October 10, 2012

Persimmon, pear, or jujube? 11-12 am to 6pm.

I've got a spot, I may as well fill it. Unless I'm just wasting my time. Which fruit does the best with limited sun?

Thanks,

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Bhawkins,

Persimmons and Jujubes like a warm spot with full sun to ripen the fruits well. I had an Asian pear in a partial shade with about 6 hrs of sun and it produced fruits just fine.

Tony

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 6:47AM
charlieboring

Try Paw Paw trees. Naturally, they grow under other trees and therefore require less sun.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:51AM
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Raspberries do awesome in mostly shade. They grow like weeds, even without much watering.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:58AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Afternoon sun in Dallas also involves major heat. So I'd vote for heat tolerant plants like fig, pomegranate, persimmon, or grapes. They will all produce with 6 hrs sun.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 8:22AM
olga_6b

Even here in MD 6 hours of sun is plenty for asian persimmon and fig. Go for it.
olga

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 10:22AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I should have included jujube in my list above. It likes heat and is very drought tolerant. But I find the fruit, while very sweet, totally lacking in flavor.

Figs would be my number one choice for the question posed by Bob. Find the right variety and the fruit is superb. My Strawberry Verte figs are nothing short of sensational.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:01AM
AJBB(9b)

Persimmon followed by pear. Jujubes want as much sun as they can get, even here in Arizona.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 11:57AM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

Thanks all. Raspberries don't seem to do well in my area. Studying my existing jujube trees,I have to agree they really don't like shade. This spot is very visible from the house, & my wife thinks fig trees look messy, so I guess I'll rule them out.

I just reread Scott's thread "6 hours of sun is no fun", & I'm not sure what will do well in this spot, since there's no morning sun. The shame is many fruits do a little better here if they get a little break from the afternoon sun, but they seem to need the morning light.

At least Persimmons & Asian pears have a chance, & persimmons are pretty trees even without fruit.

Thanks,

Bob

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™