Frost burned trees?

gregkdcOctober 10, 2013

How normal is it for new trees to forgo dormancy and get frost burned in the process? I planted a hardy kiwi, pomegranate, saijo persimmon and a fig this spring and all were growing well until a frost about a weak ago wiped them out. All of the other trees in my yard were/are turning color and dropping leaves but these guys got fried. How typical is this and are they goners?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

Very typical, and not just for new trees. Anything still showing rapid growth in September in my area (and likely yours) can experience this.

Plus all the plants you mentioned except for the hardy kiwi, originate in warmer climates with longer growing seasons and thus more susceptible to these early frosts.

In terms of survival, foliage burn is pretty minor, but if it got cold enough (say down into the teens) it might have damaged the wood as well. All the plants you mentioned will probably die back to the ground in your zone without protection anyway, at least when young... Hardy kiwi is very sensitive to late spring frosts, and has not been very successful for me in my likely similar climate.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™