Santa Rose Plum

prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)October 25, 2013

"Santa Rosa Plum"

I posted part of this thread in another forum but I didn't get much feedback. I hope this forum will have better input.

It's October and my plum tree is beginning to flower a lot. Should I remove the buds or see if they will produce?

If I let them set, will that hinder next years crop size and taste? (not allowing them to be dormant).

Also, my Southmoon blueberry is flowering along with my Sharpblue.

Has anyone else experienced this happening in October?

Preston

This post was edited by prestons_garden on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 21:31

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

P...it is pretty unusual for Oct! I would let it be. Our strange Santa Ana/dry/hot conditions really confuse the trees. Next years fruit set may be sparse...but let nature take it's course. You do not want to risk damaging the long-term fruit spurs, as well.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:48AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I would not worry about it, the flowers will drop off by themself. Next years flowers will probably be light, but nothing you can do about it. The chilling requirement for Santa Rosa is between 300 and 500 hours depending on which variety of Santa Rosa you have. Is your chilling hours on the edge for this tree? Al

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:49AM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

fireduck,

The weather we had recently was also a possibility until I called a few nurseries and none of their Santa Rosa Plums were blooming.

calistoga,

I don't believe the chill hours are even close, one bad thing about living in Orange County.

I will let it grow and see if fruit sets, if it does, I must have done something right and thanks for the feedback.

Preston

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 11:56AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Earlier this month I picked up a new 5g nectarine from a large nursery in Ventura Co (inland not coastal) It had a couple of blooms on it. No idea why it would decide it was spring, we had had little cooler weather. Only a few on my tree and it is new so I was not worried about fruit set.

But it is odd.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 12:04PM
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

I have had it happen on some of my first year trees in the past. The trees get drought stressed and go dormant. Then bounce back in the fall when it starts to cool off. As a result they bloom and leaf out in the fall instead of going dormant.

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 2:14AM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

econ0003,

Interesting analogy.

The tree is 5 years old and in a container. It has never been a good producer if any fruit at all. I think even if the fruit does set, I doubt they would very good due to lack of sun this time of year. I picked a few large blueberries from the Southmoon and they had very little flavor.

Has anyone experienced off season fruit that has very good flavors?

Preston

Bookmark   October 27, 2013 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™