Overwintering Potted Blueberries

apexgrower(6b NJ)October 6, 2010

I need some advice on overwintering my potted blueberries! I have searched all over the forums and I still have no idea what I should do. I have over 30 containers and I don't want to have to drag them all into my garage or bury them in the ground. I also read that during the winter the pots should be watered once every 6-8 weeks...any truth in that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apexgrower(6b NJ)

Ignore the link, for some reason it stopped working :(

Bookmark   October 6, 2010 at 10:39PM
foolishpleasure

Blueberry plants actually need a winter freeze to produce fruit so you don't
need to worry about the cold! They will do fine outdoors and would probably
not make it if you put them in the house. Make sure to water them regularly

Bookmark   October 7, 2010 at 4:39AM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

You can't water on someone else's schedule. Check the moisture level of the soil and add water when needed.

The plants will not be using much water, but you can not allow blueberries to dry out completely or the plants will die.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 6:47PM
raee_gw

I only have 4 pots -- I have been successful by leaving them out in the garden but piling leaves or pine straw up over and around them. By spring that has broken down a fair amount & is not much more than halfway up the side of the pot, so I don't know how necessary it is, maybe it is only the mulch on the top that is helping. I do have to rig a disguise for the plants so the deer don't nibble them--last year, sticking tree branches that were taller than the blueberries into the pots seemed to work well.

Bookmark   October 8, 2010 at 9:12PM
foolishpleasure

We din't get much rain this year and the summer was very hot. I water my Blueberry every 2 to 3 days. If in pots my understanding the watering schedule should be shorter.

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 3:14AM
kokos(6a)

My Blueberry plant died in the pot outside last winter...I did not water it though.

I have the same problem this year, what to do?

I am thinking of digging a hole in the garden and placing each pot in the hole(obviously leaving the pot on)....and mulching on the top. The horticulturalist at the garden centre said they will not overwinter in containers outside and must be put in a garage with a window open.

I'm gonna do the burry and mulch thing...

Bookmark   October 11, 2010 at 9:09PM
foolishpleasure

Koko
Really it depends on the variety you have. If you have northern varieties it is hardy and can stand any cold. If you have the southern varieties and you live in the north you need to protect it.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:27PM
kokos(6a)

I have varieties such as: Blue Crop, Blue Ray, Northcounty
Should I leave them as is in the pots and not burry them?

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:37AM
apexgrower(6b NJ)

i decided im going to buy tons of straw and pile it up all around the pots. most of my bushes are northern but i dont want to take the chance leaving them exposed and losing any over the winter. i have read from a few sources that the soil needs to stay moist throughout the winter otherwise the bushes wont make it. so does this mean i have to water the pots during freezing cold weather? wouldnt the water in the soil freeze and cause damage to the plants?

if any of you care to share photos of your potted blueberry bushes that would be cool.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™