Strawberry Papaya

pschristmas(z8b TX)October 30, 2012

I received a strawberry papaya plant today, and am wondering if anyone has had any luck growing them in pots? I live in Central Texas, and while it's not too cold now, the first freeze of the year is not far off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

If you have a warm sunny place to bring them into for the winter, it should be a breeze. This works well for me here in Northern NM, where I would normally have them inside by early October and back outside in May. Unfortunately I have not had fruit because of the pollination problem. Supposedly strawberry papaya plants are either female or self-fertile, so you might luck out and get both flower types on the same plant (I imagine you would still have to hand-pollinate when it's indoors though). If you only get female flowers, you'll need to get multiple plants to get fruit.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 10:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pschristmas(z8b TX)

Thanks, fabaceae_native. It's good to know that it's at least possible to grow them potted. It seems a pretty plant even without the fruit. Most of the information suggested that it was going to be a plant it and build a greenhouse around it proposition. :)

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™