Stark Kwik-Krop Walnuts, anyone?

nick_b79(4/5 Southeast MN)October 20, 2013

'Bears earlier than most walnuts varieties. This lovely yard tree creates cooling shade and produces large crops of great-tasting, easy-to-shell nuts. Heat- and cold-tolerant. Bears in 2-5 years. Matures to be 40-60' tall. Ripens in early October. Grafted. Self-pollinating.'

I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me.

-Is this a cultivar of Black Walnut, Carpathian Walnut, or a hybrid of the two?

-Does it have the juglone effect seen in most Black Walnuts?

-Is it worth adding to the orchard?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stark Bros. Walnuts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strudeldog_gw

Black Walnut, so yes juglone. I think all the walnut family has Juglone to a degree. I think most English/Carpathian are grafted on black walnut rootstock at least in the eastern states. Worthwhile I would say yes if you have the space, If I was limited on space I don't know walnut would be high on my list.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 10:47PM
lucky_p

Have a friend in Flint, MI who's grown a wide variety of nut trees over the years - and he says Kwik-Krop is the best BW in his plantings.
I have it here, but has not borne nuts, so I can't comment on it beyond my friend's experience. In other climates, others may surpass it.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 11:03PM
fabaceae_native

I'm sure you realize how labor intensive most of the walnuts are to shell/extract the nutmeats from. I won't plant one as an edible based on this alone. Working for hours to yield a mess of tiny nut pieces mixed with shards of shell is not my idea of an easy harvest.

The variety does sound like a good one in comparison though...

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 9:28AM
lkz5ia

Really no more labor intensive than a lot of things people do as hobbies. Of the grafted ones I have, Thomas and Kwik Crop have started producing a few nuts now. But I can't really comment on much about them, I'd rather eat a hickory nut.

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 1:55PM
fabaceae_native

lkz5ia,

you're remark: "no more labor intensive than a lot of things people do as hobbies"

is probably correct, but since one of my hobbies is harvesting wild edibles, and I have patience for many labor-intensive pursuits (collecting piñon seeds, harvesting and processing prickly pears, curing olives, making mesquite meal, etc...), I can say that shelling walnuts (at least the wild ones I've tried) is in a different category altogether.

I will admit this opinion could change with better tools, methods, and better nuts to begin with on my part...

I have only lately begun to consider the economy of things that I grow as well as taste and usefulness.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:15PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Shelling grafted BW is a world apart from wild seedlings, about like good seedling pecans. It also helps to have the right cracker, not just a hammer.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™