Green Apples

Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)November 4, 2011

Last week I came across some green yet ripe apples nearby and I'm wondering what guesses people might have as to the variety. The apples are on an older tree, the people who planted it are no longer around although the tree is probably only 30-50 years old.

The apples are a very nice green, kind of like a Granny Smith, with a lighter, yellowish blush on the sunny side. Very round shaped. They have a nice flavor, not tart but not sweet, either, and the seeds are brown indicating they are ripe. They are also very crisp. Most likely they were purchased from one of the larger mail order nurseries. I know the information is pretty sparse, but I'd welcome any guesses.

Also, when I ate one of the apples, it is very dense and almost a little chalky--like eating a green apple before it is ripe even though the juice and flavor and sweetness says it is ripe. Just curious if this would indicate this is a good keeper or a winter apple that will improve in texture with some storage?

Based on timing, I would guess it isn't a Lodi since it is way too late, and probably not a Granny Smith since it is too early from what I've read and they probably aren't hardy here. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with green apple varieties though it would be a late apple in Zone 4.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kansasapple(KS 5/6)

Granny Smith does get a yellowish blush on the sun side if allowed to stay on the tree long enough. Does your apple have little white dots on the skin? Given the age of the tree it is most likely a popular commercial variety like Granny Smith.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 4:58PM
applenut_gw

One hint will be if the lenticles (dots) are white, that would indicate Granny Smith. If they are black, it may mean White Winter Pearmain. If it turns lemon yellow after a month of storage in the garage, definately White Winter Pearmain.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 3:32PM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

Thanks, folks. The dots are white, so that must push it towards Granny Smith. I'll see how it stores. I've never heard of Granny Smith surviving here and they seem to be rated as a late apple--like the end of November, which means ice cube apple here. The one time I had a real Granny Smith Apple was many years ago in southern Ariz. in December and it was very good--seems it was very similar to these in that it had a nice flavor, nice and sweet, juicy.

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 1:00AM
alan haigh

I agree that Granny Smith would not get edible in Z4 as its picking time is about mid nov. here. In a good sun, Rhode Island Greening will get a bit sweet and be a pleasing apple, but I don't know about lenticles

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 5:40AM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™