anyone bud grafting near Winston-Salem, NC?

cousinfloydNovember 15, 2012

I know now's not the time, but I was hoping to go ahead and get in touch with anyone within 2 or 3 hours drive of me -- I'm about 45 minutes west of Winston-Salem, a little over an hour north of Charlotte -- that would be bud grafting and wouldn't mind me coming to watch and learn (and I'd be glad to help if possible.) I've never successfully grafted any cherries, plums, or peaches, and that's something I'd like to be able to do. I know there are good internet learning resources, but if there's anyone I could learn from in person I'd be eager for that opportunity.

By the way, if there's anyone else anywhere nearby that might be interested in sharing info/scionwood/know-how of any other sort, I'd be happy to connect for other reasons, too.

Thanks,

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Not close to you but I'll give you a link in bark grafting, spring grafting is done mostly with sticks. You can practice the cuts so your'e ready come spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Konrad's modified bark grafting

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:15PM
cousinfloyd

Konrad, thanks for the advice. I'm sure I could learn from anyone doing any kind of grafting, but I'm especially interested in learning to bud graft. I've had good success whip and tongue grafting pears and also some apples and some other things, and I started teaching myself how to bark graft this past year with advice from this forum and online tutorials, but that's about as far as I've gotten so far. Thanks again, Eric

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:24PM
quillfred

I wonder if it might be helpful to ask Lee Calhoun

http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.edu/growingsmallfarms-calhounshowandtell09

or Century Orchards http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

If you are wanting stone fruit specifically, maybe they can refer you to someone else. I'm assuming you have searched and watched the Youtube vids.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 7:49PM
cousinfloyd

Unfortunately, my computer isn't capable of playing any audio or hardly any video, so I have to go to a neighbor's and borrow his computer to watch youtube videos which really limits what I can learn that way. I know there's a lot I could learn on youtube, though. Then again, nothing's like being there in person. Thanks for the suggestion of Century Orchards. I'm definitely familiar with that orchard/nursery, but I hadn't thought of it in this context. That's a good idea, certainly worth asking. Thanks.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™