Weeping Fruit Tree Options?

Schlemoc(5)November 30, 2012

Hi,
I have a small island style bed that is fully visible in front of my house from all windows. It is roughly 8'x 15'. There was a bunch of scraggly bushes that I recently removed. I will be putting in a lamp post somewhere in the bed.

There is currently a whole mess of strawberries as groundcover there. What I would like to do is add a dwarf weeping fruit tree, possibly a sweet cherry, or any other "pretty" tree. I would look to keep it around 8'-10' or less in mature height. I was also considering adding in a quince of some sort.

I would be using lillies/tulips for the spring season. Any other thoughts/additions that could be added? I am not sure if there are any fruiting weeping trees, so asking the group here. I'm east of Pittsburgh in Zone 5 for location.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The weeping trees I'm aware of would be the weeping mulberry. That would be well adapted to your climate because we had one in northern Illinois as a kid. The other is the weeping Santa Rosa plum. May not be well adapted due to cold, disease, and pests.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:53AM
shazaam(NC 7B)

Perhaps a weeping mulberry? Given the photos that I've seen, though, I suspect that it might look a little messy unless it was trained/pruned carefully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeping Mulberry at Edible Landscaping

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 9:53AM
alan haigh

Ginger Gold is an apple variety exceptionally easy to train to a weep- the branches naturally grow downwards once fruiting begins. If you grow it on M26 it will be easy to keep in the space you describe. Check Adams County Nursery.

I routinely train tall old apple trees to a weep to reduce vigor and bring the crop to lower position. Most varieties can be trained this way once fruiting begins.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 11:42AM
Schlemoc(5)

Harvestman,

Do you have any tips/recommendations on how to train it to weep? Are there any other apple varieties that can be trained at an early age to weep?

I do know of the weeping mulberry and weeping santa rosa. I'm hoping to see if I can find something a little different.

Thanks everyone for thoughts. Any others out there?

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 2:54PM
lucky_p

Weeping mulberry - as others indicated - immediately came to mind. Just be sure you get a fruiting cultivar, not the fruitless 'male' clones, like Chaparral

'Callaway' crab is a favorite in my family for eating, and often assumes a semi-weeping form, mainly due to the massive fruit load it typically sets. Tasty little 1-1.5" crabs; good for jelly, or filling your pocket and munching away. Pretty decent disease resistance, so it's not necessarily defoliated early like many of the older ornamental crabapple selections.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™