variance in years to flowering?

pnbrownNovember 26, 2012

Hi all,

I have an apple tree that I bought and planted about 5 years ago, along with some others, and it has not flowered, not once, not one blossom. It has grown well enough, in fact shows less drought stress in summer than others. I don't recall what variety it is. Others have flowered and fruited.

Is this uncommon? I have never had any fruit tree that did not at least have a few blossoms the year after planting, to say nothing of 5 or 6 years later.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I can't help you with the apple tree but I can relate. I have a grapefruit tree here that is 8 years old and I am still waiting for it to blossom for the first time. Each spring I wait and hope. The oranges bloom even when very small but not that ruby red.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 8:45AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I have a few varieties that have not flowered in ten years. Some varieties are much more reluctant to start bearing than others. The rootstock can also have a significant impact; perhaps that tree is on a different stock.

Scott

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 2:05PM
pnbrown

Thanks, Scott, good to know maybe I'll give it another few years.

BR, speaking of the citrus I took your advice last winter and lowered the soil around the trunks in my orchard and also fertilized with azomite and some manganese sulfate (they had severe Mn deficiency) and some organic N though not nearly enough of that latter. Anyway hoping to see some improvement by february when we return.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 12:52PM

PnBrown,

Lou swears by that azomite and I will say it does seem to make a difference. These sandy soils the nutrients just wash right through especially if they are over watered either by us or mother nature.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 2:51PM
pnbrown

If you want to see more convincing proof for azomite over a longish period of time, there is an orchard in Deland that has been using it in the fertilizer program for about ten years. I went there last winter and it is utterly stunning compared to what one normally sees these days, and the taste of the fruit is also remarkable.

My parents both said that's what citrus tasted like when they were kids in the 50's, they had forgotten what good fruit tasted like. It's worth the drive.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 8:35AM

PN,

Lou brought me some and the plants do seem to respond well to it.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:15AM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™