Before the Snow Falls

mrsg47(7)November 30, 2013

My orchard this past summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MrClint

Very picturesque view. Nice place to spend a Summer's day. Thanks for sharing. :)

Bookmark   November 30, 2013 at 9:49PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Looks very nice MrsG.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:25AM
mrsg47(7)

All of the fruit trees form a large rectangle around the rose garden. Takes a lot of work, but I do love it. On my Christmas list this year, are endless bags of mulch and topsoil. My husband and friends are now very used to this request. My friends are so surprised to find out I do it all myself (except for clipping the privet arches and hedges. (in the pic they had not yet been cleaned up). Anyway, the orchard gets bigger and better every year. I have many of you to thank for its health and vigor. You know who you are. Thank you , Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:15AM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

WOW...is coming along nicely!

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:21AM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Konrad, you are a huge inspiration for me. Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 12:26PM
mamuang_gw

Mrs. G,

What a beautiful garden!! What are your rose varieties? Besides having an orchard, I try to maintain a perennial garden. Yours is beautiful.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 12:53PM
mrsg47(7)

The roses are: Rhapsody in Blue, Rosa Mundi, Spirit of Freedom, Gold Medal, Tiffany, Blue Girl, the Pilgrim, Ferdinand Pichard, A Shropshire Lad, Ambridge Rose, The Prince, Wonder Stripe, Portlandia. More to follow. That is just the Rose Garden, My perennial beds are on the other side of the privet. I do not grow grafted roses. They are all on their roots. They take longer to establish, but once they get going, you cannot kill them. Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 1:20PM
mamuang_gw

Do you spray your roses? I used to be crazy about roses before I started an orchard. Rose forum used to be my favorite. I don't spray them and most get black spot badly by mid summer esp.the Austins. Any of your roses are black spot resistance?

My perennial bed will be redone next spring.

Looking at the picture of your rose garden is inspiring. Maybe, I should put more work on my roses next spring, too.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 2:46PM
mrsg47(7)

I spray my roses with the same mixture as my trees. The fungicides are perfect. Monterey Fungi fighter and Immunox are excellent for black spot. The leaves of my roses are pristine and glossy. No black spot. Triaz. mixed with immunox is what I use most of the time (with a sticker). the triazicide takes care of aphids and japanese beetles, or any other nasty insect. Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 7:55PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Lovely garden Mrs. G.

I've paid attention to your gardening journey since you started posting on this forum.

It looks like some of your trees in the background are ready to give you a good amount of fruit.

In few years (maybe next year) you will be so covered up in fruit.

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 10:23PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Beautiful orchard Mrs. G. A nice place you can kick back and relax in the evening.

Tony

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:18PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks guys, I'll shoot it again in winter so you can see the large trees. I'm trying to keep everything at about 12' max. There is a peach tree to the far left of this picture, that has gotten away from me a bit, but its only about 14' tall. I have since pruned it. It is a very relaxing place to be at the end of a day. This picture was taken in June. Its been a great journey, Olpea and Tony! Mrs. G

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™