Growing pomegranate tree indoors

bookdiva(5)November 5, 2007

Has anyone successfully grown a small (3-5 ft) pomegranate indoors and gotten edible fruit from it? I would like how-tos and the variety you used. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Punica granitum "Nana" is a dwarf pomegranate often used for Bonsai cultivation. It does flower but does not generally form fruit at least not any that would be edible. I have one in my garden at least 10 years that has grown to about 6 feet. Al

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 9:46AM
lucky_p

I've got a seedling that popped up under one of the old 'Wonderful' trees back home in AL; dug it up and potted it - it's spent the last 3 or 4 winters in my office, by the window. I've not yet brought it in for the winter, this year - it's probably leafless and near-dormant now; will re-leaf and bloom, but it never sets fruit, even when I tried hand-pollenating - flowers just drop off. It usually gets dried out and defoliates a couple of times during the winter.
I can usually keep it alive, but it typically looks pretty sad by the time spring comes.

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 10:34AM
bonjo

I often walk through a property that is composed of 20 acres of a series of gardens. I came upon a tree with white pomagranates hanging all over it. I picked a few and they have pink kernals with almost no seed, very sweet. I would like to take a hardwood cutting and start another tree? Is this the right time of year to do this? And what type of pomegranate is this?

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 4:07PM
lucky_p

bonjo,
I'd wait until late Feb/early Mar, take several cuttings - pencil-diameter & 6-8 inches long. Wrap in damp(not wet!) paper toweling, place in a ziploc bag, and keep in the refrigerator 'til spring. Dip basal ends(It helps to cut one end straight across and the other at a slant - and remember which is which! - to remind you which end is 'up') in your choice of rooting hormone, stick in a well-drained soilless potting mix, and keep watered. In my experience, success rates run close to 100%.
You can also take semi-hardwood cuttings in late June/July and they'll root relatively easily, as well.

As to what variety it is(if it is, indeed, a named selection), I don't know, unless it's "Pink Ice"/"Sin Pepe" - but you might find its description in the book, The Incredible Pomegranate.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Incredible Pomegranate

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 11:45PM
jellyman(6/7VA)

Bookdiva:

You may be able to keep a pomegranate tree alive in greenhouse conditions or with interior plant lights in your climate zone, but I don't think fruit will be in the picture. I had dwarf Nana -- I think the same one Al describes -- for several years in my attached greenhouse, but it finally just pooped out in spite of reasonably good care and no temps approaching freezing. Just keeping a pomegranate tree alive from year to year might be a pretty good challenge in zone 5 unless you are experienced with tropical and sub-tropical plants.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™