Pomegranate espalier for privacy in a narrow strip against fence

Oscarmatic(CA z10/23)November 12, 2013

(I'm cross-posting from the "Plants for Difficult Places" forum, because there's not much activity there and this is also fruit tree question.)

Hi! I'm rehabilitating a pond and its surrounding plantings. It would be nice to add a planting between the pond and the fence to screen from the neighbor's windows.

We are in inland San Diego, Sunset zone 23 -- so no thirsty plants. I prefer something fruiting or floral, rather than evergreen. It should have a root system that won't be likely to damage or invade the concrete pond. It's too much to expect, but a tidy plant would reduce the amount of skimming to do in the pond. (We can dream!) The picture below shows the available planting area. The existing tree and philodendron will move, as will the low bush and vines. The screening is really only needed on the right side, but I'm inclined to either plant something wide or plant two for balance.

What do the experienced growers here think of trying an espalier pomegranate in this space? Or, could it be worthwhile to try to prune the old avocado tree to screen over the fence?

Suggestions and strong opinions are very much welcome!

Here is a link that might be useful: Also on

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mes111(5b -Purling NY & 7b -Nassau County NY)

It looks like you will need something that is higher than an espalier. getting that high might make managing an espalier difficult.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™