American persimmon

marsalNovember 8, 2013

I think i have a female American Persimmon tree. It had 6 persimmons when i bought it. The last two years i get flowers which turn into tiny fruits and then they all drop gradually. I think i need a male but the nursery told me that since it turns to fruit i dont need a male. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Marsal,

Do you still remember the name of your persimmon tree? American Persimmon will drop fruits due to too much moisture in the ground. Too much fertilizer can also cause fruits drop.

Tony

Bookmark   November 8, 2013 at 11:03PM
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

Depending upon your amount of space, you might want to get a male tree. Don't pay full price for it. THey are cheaper. Most serious growers of American persimmons consider a fertilized fruit to be larger and a higher quality fruit than an unfertilized one. Check to see if it has seeds. If you have Meader you don't need a male.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 2:09AM
marsal

Thanks for your responses. I just found my tag. My persimmon is Nikita's Gift and it does say it is self pollinating. Yet, for two years in a row the fruit is formed the size of tiny grapes or chickpeas (for reference) and then fall. One year i was away in August and we had a dry spell so i thought it was lack of water. This year not the case and still they all fell.
Where can i buy a male and cheap? And another question, i have my tree fenced in from the deer. If i manage to get a male, can i place it outside the fence? Since the male does not bear fruit, will the deer let itbe?

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 10:47PM
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

Marsal,

Nikita's Gift is a hybrid persimmon, self fertile, No needs for a male. It does drop fruits for several years then after that the fruits will hold. Too much water or nitrogen will also cause fruits drop. My tree is about five years old now and about 12 ft tall. It produces lot of super sweet fruits annually.

Tony

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 11:58PM
marsal

Thanks Tony, i dont know how old my tree is. It had six big ones on it when i bought it. I have now had it for three years. This means that i dont have to go looking for a male. So 'God give me patience, but give it to me now'!
Salma

Bookmark   November 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™