Got my first "Smith's Best" Japanese persimmon -- quite good

gonebananas_gwNovember 11, 2012

A nice rich flavor. Ripened on the tree, or still more so a sapling (in a 25 gallon pot).

Ol' Dr. Smith had a lot to choose from, so his best should be good I suppose.

My in-ground persimmon was bought as a "Tannenashi" but by all evidence is a "Eureka." It was loaded with fruit this year but never achieved the richer flavor when fully ripe that it used to. It ripened better than last year though, and another poster 100-200 miles west of me noted the same blandness then.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rian(7va)

Different weather conditions surely affect flavor. I have two Asian Pears and most years Hosui are the best tasting. Once every four or five years the Shinseiki are just amazing. In those years the Hosui are kind of bland.

The oriental persimmons I grow are Ichi, Wasa Fuyu and Hana Fuyu. If I had it to do over again, I would not have planted three non-astringent persimmons. The astringent ones are safe from squirrels and also protect non-astringents planted nearby.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 8:30AM
Biomed(6)

GB, how many year did it took for Smith best to produce in the 25 gallon pot?

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 2:22PM
mk-in-ohio

GB, it is always nice to hear a report on a particular variety.

Is your Smith's Best pollinated?

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 10:04AM
gonebananas_gw

It had two fruit in its second year from the mail-order nursery (so not too big to begin with). I know I should have removed them to throw growth into wood, but who can bear the temptation to taste it soon? The plant is probably not more that 4-5 feet tall, with one fruit still left on for my son to taste when ripe.

I forget whether there were a few seeds in it, but there are many other Asian and native persimmons near it. Some other Asian persimmons have seeds, so some male flowers seem to be around. I forget the details of Asian persimmon pollination.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 9:41AM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

Is giboshi the same as smiths best? I just got my first giboshi, they're very very good

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 3:05PM
shane11

From what I understand smiths best and giboshi are the same variety. It is one of my favorites for several reasons. The tree is dwarf, very productive even without a male tree around and they ripen fairly early. I usually harvest most of mine around Halloween though a few fruits will ripen earlier than this. And the flavor is rich and quite sweet. These are so good scooped into a bowl and cream added.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
What is happening to my Apple Tree? Fixes?
We purchased this tree and planted it a year ago. ...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
My Spupreme plum turns into Alderman!
At Plant Hill Nursery! They don't have a email address,...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™