loquat pollination

creekweb(6,7)November 15, 2010

I have a sole loquat tree variety SESII indoors currently in bloom. Is there any need/advantage for me to pollinate the blooms myself say with a small paintbrush? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creekweb(6,7)

After a little thought, I realized that pollinating the flowers was going to be unavoidable if I wanted any fruit, so I had a go at it with an artist's paintbrush. But a few flowers into the job, it became clear that I just wasn't cut out for this task - too tedious, too tall and too many blossoms - and I became increasingly convinced that this really was a job best left to the pros. So I began to wonder if any pollinators were still around outside to help me out. I wasn't thinking bees, but maybe some flies could still be around who might do some pollinating as a part time gig. So I hauled the tree back outside where it had spent the summer and put it in a nice sunny spot. And every so often I checked it ... but no one showed up. Nothing!... Eventually, resigned to my fate, I got my little paintbrush back out and returned to this most boring of jobs. Just then, I heard a buzzing from behind my left shoulder and none other than a bumble bee had joined me! I don't know who was happier, me or the bee, but I was out of there, off to better things leaving the loquat in good hands.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 11:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

I had a tree that kept in a pot in the greenhouse in winter, I pollinated with a brush and a got a nice crop of delicious Loquats.

Bass

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™